Wednesday, September 5

I love Encounter (and Jesus!)

Last night at Encounter, Yemi had us spend 10ish minutes to take time with our Bibles (and, therefore, our Lord). I started out with Micah 6:8 where I'm reminded that it's not about the sacrifices we make--those things in our faith that can become empty traditions if our heart is not in them-- but on seeking justice, loving mercy, and walking humbly with our God. This is the verse that our new "Micah Project" is based on, which I'm really excited about: meeting the needs in our specific Encounter community and other needs within the community as a whole. Then, I decided to turn to James. I just remember loving it, but I didn't really remember what I was getting into. So, it talks over and over again about living your faith. One of my favorites on this topic: "Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us." Obviously, this hits a cord as we begin our adoption journey. Then, as I read in James 4, I was REALLY convicted by these words: "Look here, you people who say, 'Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.' How do you know what will happen tomorrow? For your life is like the morning fog--it's here a little while, then it's gone. What you ought to say is, 'If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.' Otherwise, you will be boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil." (vs. 13-16). Need I say more? Well, yes, I will...this is my blog, after all! I was just horribly reminded that while we did feel God's leaning to adopt and the passion in our hearts, He is ultimately in charge and wants to take the lead!!! Me making all the plans without consulting Him every step of the way is not acceptable. I HAVE to start relying on him much more and realize that whatever happens, He is in charge, has our/my best interest at heart, and has much more able hands than I do. Man, spankings from God are so good AND hard....

So, I'm sorry, God, for my crazy self-reliance. Thank you for your Word, the Bible, that gently and firmly guides me and helps me come into greater and greater truth.

2 comments:

the pastor's wife said...

hey girlfriend!!! i somehow found you through brian alwine's blog. i thought i would say hello to you:) and what's this about adoption??? holy cow! i would love to catch up with you sometime! it's been a while. love and blessings! melissa garner

jeny said...

Danielle, I got your message really late last night. We were in Chicago yesterday at the Shedd Aquarium and didn't get home til late . . .to late to call you back.
Kristine also emailed me today with some details. Sounds like I missed it for this month, but I would like to try for the next one! Thanks for thinking of me ;)

Little Gray School House is my blog to record our school year. Butterfly Kisses is for my sister as she's away in Boston, to excersise my writing skills and to remember the sweet things in my life as my family grows. This week, they both kind of intersected with the first day of school, so I can see how they might look the same!

I have an aquaintance (who's actually a really good friend of Christine's) who adopted 2 little boys from Etheopia close to two years ago. They already had 3 of their own kids -twin boys and a little girl. I'm sure you are getting lots of suggestions from your friends, but if you would like to check out her blog it is http://the7w.blogspot.com/
Sorry to go on and on. I was just so happy to hear back from you!

Have a great day,
love
jeny