Tuesday, August 22

Invasion

As I wrote last time, I am in a place of incredible beauty with the best friends God could give. But life is definitely not without its invaders. In this case, they come in the form of microscopic larvae called chiggers. Now, growing up in a camping family, I cannot believe they are new to me, but they are. So when these strange, red, itchy bumps started appearing soon after I arrived, I was perplexed. Because of the wealth of knowledge that comes from two nurses (one in training) and several more health "experts," the problem was quickly diagnosed and clear fingernail polish applied so that these mites could die in my skin and not bore out only to bite me again and disappear once more into my flesh.

After who knows how long spent tossing and turning in the middle of the night, I left my newfound bed on the couch (in case the culprits were possibly imbedded in our bed and not in the beach grasses and sand like we suspected), and came up to google these horrible, disgusting parasites. After several searches on "educated websites," (I am an educated girl, after all!) I discovered that while they are disgusting indeed, they are not nesting in my skin. The damage has already been done, and now I just need to live with the consequences of the many bites on unsavory underwear and bra lines, not to mention a variety of other places throughout my body. I do think a trip into town for some antihistemine would be a good choice (as making healthy choices is a important goal among these women I am with) as well as talking to a pharmacist since websites are SO reliable. That will need to wait, though, since it is only now 6:53 a.m. and no sane person is at work this early.

The one thing I do know is that these chiggers will not get in the way of this week in any real sense. This cannot be accomplished by disgusting bugs that choose to infest my body. For I am kid-free and am finally receiving the conversation I have been longing for. While my children's night-time updates I would not trade for the world, neither would I miss any chance to savor the friendships of a lifetime--even with invaders.

3 comments:

LoriCloud said...

Now I'm scratching...thanks alot! Ewww...sounds absolutely intolerable. I'm not sure that I have any friends that I lovel enough for me to camp ... I am a comfort girl which is why I take my flannel sheets to hotels. SO sorry you are itchy. Try Aveeno Oatmeal bath...and a LARGE margarita. I'm having one and I don't even itch. Love, Dr. Lori

LoriCloud said...

PS...sorry to intrude again but, I just re-read and figured out that you weren't camping...so nevermind... and NO I am not intoxicated.

Danielle said...

I love you more and more each day. Thank you Lori M.D. for the wealth of knowledge...although, alas, it came too late. Ah well. I think I used the Aveeno Oatmeal bath for my boy's butt problems one time. And the margarita was a great prescription, too, although I stuck mostly to wine :)